Agriculture is an integral part of the world economy, mainly for developing countries. It is the main source of employment, income and food, and these basic needs are met by agriculture around the world. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the agricultural population accounts for 67% of the total population. It recorded 39.4% of GDP and thus 43% of all exports of agricultural commodities. We are here with this blog to show all information about the main agricultural producing countries in the world, stay tuned.
Many agricultural developing countries depend on agricultural imports and food security, and many emerging economies will not refine without a significant increase in local production. It is evident that the role of agriculture in global economic development has made important advances in recent years.
Now let's talk about the types of agricultural production.
About 11% of the world's land area is used for agriculture and about 26% is used for grazing. The main types of agricultural production are food, fuel, fiber and raw materials. Check out the top 10 agricultural producing countries below with complete information.
Top agricultural producing countries in the world
Listed below are the top 10 agricultural countries that produce the best food in the world. Look at the agricultural producing countries.
China has 7% of the arable land and thus feeds 22% of the world's population. In the 20th century, China struggled to feed its large population. Thereafter, the modernization of agricultural policies and technologies made China highly self-sufficient and prosperous. China's top economic planning body warned that this would be difficult to meet.
agriculture in China
- China's land is heavily used for agriculture.
- Vegetables are planted on the streets and on many building walls in China.
- In 1949, China lost ⅕ of its arable land, and now only 10% to 15% of China's land is suitable for agriculture.
- 545,960 square kilometers of land are irrigated in China.
- China is the largest rice producing country in the world. They used it to produce soybeans, kaoliang (sorghum), wheat, millet and corn.
2. United States
The United States is known for its agricultural sciences and makes some advanced agricultural technologies available to the world. It is proving to be a role model for many countries in the agricultural sector, and agriculture in the United States is continuously developing at increasing rates. Development here refers to scientific soil, plant analysis, more innovative machines and the increased use of computers. In short, we can say that the United States is the best country in agricultural technology.
Agriculture in the United States
- Agriculture in the United States expanded by 5% each year after 1990. In addition, each farm worker's production increased by 0.84% each year.
- The United States produces the highest amount of timber. Approximately 70% of the country's forests are officially owned, with limited logging permitted.
- The United States is a net exporter of agricultural commodities. In 2007, the agricultural census recorded 2.2 million agricultural holdings with an area used for agriculture.
- In the United States, corn was the largest crop, producing a quantity of 247,882,000 tons. And the second is soybeans with 74,598,000 tons. And the third is wheat, which has grown an amount of 69,327,000 tons.
- The main crops in the United States are sugar cane, potato, coffee, sugar beet and banana.
Brazil is historically one of the best agricultural countries on which its economy is based. In Brazil, around 41% of the entire country is used for agriculture. It has a total area of 2.1 billion acres and the utilized agricultural area in Brazil is nearly 867.4 million acres. The country's initial production priority was sugar cane. Brazilians began farming around 12,000 years ago, using many crops such as sweet potatoes, corn, peanuts, tobacco and more.
Agriculture in Brazil
- Brazil is the world leader in sugar cane production, producing over 600 million tons annually.
- Brazil is the second largest producer of soybeans in the world and these beans are used in large quantities worldwide.
- Brazil is the world's largest exporter of coffee, beef, ethanol and soybeans.
- Around 7% of Brazil's land area is used to grow crops, including soybeans.
⅓ of the world's oranges are produced in Brazil.
Indian agriculture provides Indians around 58% of their livelihood. According to recent data, agriculture is the main source of income for half of the population, contributing 17% to 18% of their GDP. And India is the top producer of most fruits in the world, including bananas, guava, mango, lemon, papaya, and vegetables, including chickpeas. India also produced spices, including ginger, pepper and chili.
Agriculture in India
- India ranked first in milk production, second in dried fruit, third in fish production, fourth in egg production and fifth in poultry production in the world.
- From USD 87 billion to USD 397, Indian agricultural production has increased over the past 14 years, which corresponds to an annual growth rate of 11%.
- With a total of 96 million hectares of irrigated area in India, it is the largest in the world.
- Indian agriculture has many facets and contributes 60% to India's gross agricultural domestic product through animal husbandry and horticulture alone.
- India is the largest wheat producing country in the world.
In Russia, 13% of agricultural land is used for the production of sugar beets, wheat and potatoes. The cereals are rye, barley, oats and corn. These are the main cultures in Russia. Russia is mainly engaged in the industrial economy and has a huge agricultural industry. Agribusiness accounts for around 6% of total Russian GDP. Thus, the Russian agribusiness provides 16% of employment opportunities for the general population.
Agriculture in Russia
- Over 23 million hectares of land are cultivated in Russia.
- About half of the arable land is covered with grain cultivation. It produces 70% of all grain in the country.
- Wheat is the dominant food crop throughout Russia.
- This means that beet production has grown tremendously in recent years.
France has around 730,000 farms, around 7% of the population earn their living in agriculture or related sectors such as fishing or forestry. In France, almost everyone is engaged in agricultural activities, which includes the production of agricultural goods, etc., showing that the population of France is too engaged in agriculture.
agriculture in France
- In the EU as a whole, France is the top producer of oilseeds, cereals, sugar beet, milk, wine and beef. Over 29 million tons of sugar beets were produced in Frans.
- France is the largest exporter of alcoholic beverages and beverages, registering a 6% increase in recent years.
- There has been a 12% increase in flour and grains and a 7% decrease in meat and other animal products in recent years.
- Actual income from agriculture increased by 4% over the past period.
Agriculture in Mexico is vital to the country's economy, both historically and politically. Agriculture contributes a small percentage to Mexico's GDP. Historically, Mexico produced avocados, beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn, and more. The country is also known for its agricultural exports. The main feature of Mexico's agriculture is the cultivation of crops, and half of Mexico's agricultural production falls under the crops account.
Agriculture in Mexico
- Mexico's main crops are wheat, sugarcane, peppers, corn, bananas, sorghum, blue agave, avocados, beans, other tropical fruits, and more.
- They are best at exporting crops such as fruit, coffee, vegetables and sugar.
- In Mexico, about 15% of the land is used for agriculture and about 50% is used for livestock.
- Livestock farming in Mexico occurs in significant quantity, which consists of poultry, eggs, beef, and milk.
Japanese agriculture contributes only 2% of GDP and about 10% of the country's people make a living from farming. They fully support the traditional Japanese food culture, which is rice with other foods including grains, fish, vegetables, mountain plants and others. Japan has a sizeable population and the average farm area is only 1.2 ha (3 acres), developing coordinated cultivation. With the time change, rice consumption has decreased in 40 years, the daily diet of milk, other dairy products and meat has increased extraordinarily. This increases the demand for luxury foods.
agriculture in Japan
- There are two major types of agricultural fields in Japan, namely siden and tambo.
- The area under cultivation in Japan fell from 6.09 million hectares in 1961 to 4.65 million hectares in 2006.
- In Japan, about 2,000 hectares of land lie fallow and rice production has fallen by 20% in recent years.
- Japan's self-sufficiency rate fell from 78% in 1961 to 39% in 2006. Now the Japanese government wants to increase it to 50%.
Germany's leading agricultural foods are pork, poultry, potatoes, milk, grain, beef, sugar beet, cabbage, barley and wheat. And in most regions vegetables, fruit and wine. Around 80% of the state area is used for forestry and agriculture. In 1997 there were family farms that were dominant in the old western states. About 87% of German farmers cultivate an area of 124 hectares. In Germany, southern and western parts of river valleys are covered with vineyards. Germany's agricultural products vary from region to region.
agriculture in Germany
- In Germany, ½ of the area is used for arable farming.
- Plus agricultural goods worth 50% billion euros per year produced by the country's 1 million inhabitants.
- Germany occupies 3rd place worldwide in terms of agricultural goods exports. Around ⅓ of the products are exported from Germany.
- About 10% of Germans practice organic farming.
- Germany is the fourth largest beer producer in the world.
Agriculture in Turkey is the main occupation of Turkish people, industries and service sectors are constantly increasing. Turkey is the most self-sufficient food sourcing country in the world. They have suitable climatic conditions, fertile soil and significant rainfall that allow the production of all types of crops. Agriculture is practiced in almost all regions of Turkey. Poultry farming is practiced on a large scale in mountain regions. That contributes ¼ to the gross value of all agricultural production. In Turkey, wheat is the most-produced grain, followed by sugar beets, third by milk and last by cows.
Agriculture in Turkey
- Around 100 million turkeys live on the farms.
- About 19.2% of total employment in Turkey in 2018 is provided by the agricultural sector.
- It is the largest producer of apricots, figs, raisins and hazelnuts.
- Turkey is the fourth largest producer of grapes and vegetables.
- It is the sixth largest tobacco producer.
Countries with agriculture as their main occupation
We show three countries that have the main occupation in agriculture. Check below.
- Liberiawith 76.9% of GDP
- Somaliawith 60.2% of GDP
- Guinea-Bissauwith 55.8% of GDP
This is aboutTop 10 agricultural producing countries in the world. I hope you get all the detailed information after reading this blog. For more updates likeHow to become a smart farmerstay tunedTractorJunction.
Types of Agriculture in India
Was ist Zero Budget Natural Farming?
The world's top four food-producing countries—China, India, the U.S., and Brazil—share the advantages of large populations, ample land area, and climate zones suitable for growing a variety of crops, though there are also major differences in the role that food production plays in their economies.What are the top 10 agricultural producing states? ›
Which are the top 10 agriculture-producing States? The top 10 agriculture-producing States in terms of cash receipts in calendar year 2021 were (in descending order): California, Iowa, Nebraska, Texas, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.Who are the biggest agricultural producers in the world? ›
Of the major cereal and vegetable crops, the United States, China, India, and Russia are the top producers. The United States is the top exporter of agricultural products with $118.3 billion in exports as of 2019.Which countries produce enough food to feed themselves? ›
- Pastoral nomadism.
- Shifting cultivation.
- Plantation agriculture.
- Mixed crop/livestock farming.
- Grain farming.
- Commercial gardening (truck farming)
- Dairy farming.
- Mediterranean agriculture.
California had the highest agricultural receipts in the United States in 2021 followed by Iowa, Nebraska, Texas and Illinois. California had the highest agricultural receipts in the United States in 2021 followed by Iowa, Nebraska, Texas and Illinois.Which state leads the US in agriculture? ›
California ranks first in the United States for agricultural cash receipts followed by Iowa, Texas, Nebraska and Illinois.What are the top 5 producing states? ›
- 1. California. California earns the most money from agriculture when compared to all other states. ...
- Iowa. Iowa is the nation's largest producer of biofuel, as about half of the state's corn crops are used to make ethanol. ...
- Texas. ...
- Kansas. ...
- Minnesota. ...
- Illinois. ...
China leads the agriculture production of fruit, vegetables, cereals, cotton, eggs and poultry.Which country is no 2 in agriculture? ›
|Cauliflowers and Broccoli||China||India|
This statistic shows the world's leading 10 producers of fresh vegetables in 2021. In that year, China was the leading producer with a production volume of over 600 million metric tons, followed by India with approximately 138 million metric tons of fresh vegetables.Who owns the most agriculture in the US? ›
With almost 269,000 acres, Bill Gates retained his ranking as America's largest private farmland owner.What is the largest agriculture company in the US? ›
The United States of America-based Cargill Inc is the leading agricultural products company in the world (by revenue). The company reported revenues of $114,600 million for the fiscal year ended June 2021 (FY2021).Which countries are self-sufficient in agriculture? ›
India shows self-sufficiency, and joins the second group which includes China, the United Republic of Tanzania and Bolivia. Government's own data shows that the country is not self-sufficient.Can the US produce enough food to feed the world? ›
The US is actually self-sufficient in basic food production.
Not only is the US self-sufficient in basic food production, but the country also provides food for a large part of the rest of the world. The US typically produces 2.2 billion bushels of wheat per year.
Devastated public health and water and sanitation systems have also led to high case numbers of cholera, measles, and polio (among others). This makes malnutrition an even more deadly condition. One of the issues that has made Yemen the world's hungriest country for 2022 is its dependence on food imports.What are 7 major crops? ›
Cassava, maize, plantains, potatoes, rice, sorghum, soybeans, sweet potatoes, wheat, and yams are some of the leading food crops around the world.What are the big 3 crops in the US? ›
Corn, soybeans, barley and oats
The largest United States crop in terms of total production is corn, the majority of which is grown in a region known as the Corn Belt.
The crops of corn, beans, and squash are known as the Three Sisters. For centuries these three crops have been the center of Native American agriculture and culinary traditions.Where in the US is best for farming? ›
- The best states for Farmland. ...
- Montana. ...
- Kansas. ...
- Oklahoma. ...
- South Dakota. ...
- North Dakota. ...
- Texas. ...
Agriculture and its related industries provide 10.5 percent of U.S. employment. In 2021, 21.1 million full- and part-time jobs were related to the agricultural and food sectors—10.5 percent of total U.S. employment.What is the most eaten crop in the US? ›
Wheat production in the United States
The most popular grain in America, wheat is one of the top crops produced and consumed in the US.
Canada and Mexico are the two largest suppliers of U.S. agricultural imports. Canada and Mexico remain the United States' largest suppliers of agricultural products ($22.2 billion and $19.3 billion in 2013-15 respectively), mostly consumer-oriented goods such as horticultural products, red meats, and snack foods.Which 3 US states produce the most fruit? ›
|State||Rank||Total fruit production|
California's Top 10 Agricultural Commodities
Dairy Products, Milk — $7.57 billion. Grapes — $5.23 billion. Almonds — $5.03 billion. Cattle and Calves — $3.11 billion.
- Fruit. ...
- Tree Nuts. ...
- Rice. ...
- Soybean and Oil Crops. ...
- Sugar and Sweeteners. ...
- Vegetables. ...
- Pulses. ...
- Wheat. Wheat is the third largest field crop in the U.S., both in acreage and gross farm receipts.
Texas had the most land in farms in the United States in 2021 followed by Montana and Kansas.Where does Florida rank in agriculture? ›
Farms and Land in Farms
Florida ranks 15th among all states in number of farms and 30th in land in farms.
China does not need to increase food production by 60% to become entirely self-sufficient, but perhaps only around 10%, with the exception of soybeans for pig feed.What are the big 4 in agriculture? ›
Referred to as the Big 4 – DowDuPont, Bayer-Monsanto, ChemChina-Syngenta and BASF – are four giant firms running the show in the agriculture industry.
The United States exports more food than any other country in the world. Among the top export destinations of the United States are Canada, Mexico, China, Japan and Germany. A significant share of the total production of numerous vital commodities is absorbed by the US agriculture export markets.Who grows the most grain in the world? ›
China is the world's largest wheat producer and has yielded more than 2.4 billion tonnes of wheat in the last 20 years, around 17% of total production.Which country has the most fertile land? ›
(Arable land is land ploughed or tilled regularly, generally under a system of crop rotation). India has the most arable land in the world followed by the United States, Russia, China and Brazil. India and the United States account for roughly 22% of the world's arable land.Who produces 70% of the world's food? ›
The claim that family farms produce 70-80% of the world's food is likely to be true.What is the most sold vegetable in the world? ›
Tomatoes - the world's most popular vegetable.Which country is No 1 in vegetable production? ›
China is now the world's largest vegetable producing country.How much US farmland is owned by China? ›
China owns and controls almost 192,000 acres of farmland right here in the United States. To be clear, it's not a huge percentage of our total farm acreage by any stretch. According to the FDA, there are more than 35 million acres of farmland in the U.S. which are owned by foreign investors.Who is America's wealthiest agriculture family? ›
The Cargills, an agricultural dynasty going back six generations, are one of America's richest families.Who owns the most land in Florida? ›
|Profiles of Florida's Top 10 Private Landowners|
|1. Plum Creek Timber||6. Deseret Ranches of Florida|
|2. St. Joe Co.||7. Mosaic|
|3. Foley Timber||8. Bascom Southern|
Agriculture, food, and related industries contributed roughly $1.264 trillion to U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) in 2021, a 5.4-percent share. The output of America's farms contributed $164.7 billion of this sum—about 0.7 percent of U.S. GDP.
Agriculture and its related industries provide 10.5 percent of U.S. employment. In 2021, 21.1 million full- and part-time jobs were related to the agricultural and food sectors—10.5 percent of total U.S. employment.Which US state has the best farmland? ›
- The best states for Farmland. ...
- Montana. ...
- Kansas. ...
- Oklahoma. ...
- South Dakota. ...
- North Dakota. ...
- Texas. ...
Corn, soybeans, barley and oats
The largest United States crop in terms of total production is corn, the majority of which is grown in a region known as the Corn Belt. The second largest crop grown in the United States is soybeans. As with corn, soybeans are primarily grown in the Midwestern states.
Mollisols are the best soils for farming because they contain large quantities of organic matter. Mollisols found in the Midwestern U.S. are the best for agriculture due to the grasslands that were present thousands of years ago.Where is the cheapest farmland in the US? ›
Oklahoma. Oklahoma currently sits at the lowest cost per acre among the best states for farmland in the US, so this is another state to consider when looking to buy land for agricultural purposes.What is the number one US crop? ›
The corn crop in the U.S. was worth whopping $71 billion in 2021, according to the USDA. Total commodities receipts in the U.S. in 2021 were $434 billion, with animals and related products accounting for $196 billion (45.2%) and crops $238 billion (54.8%.)What crop do Americans eat the most? ›
With all of its uses across so many industries, it's no wonder corn is the biggest crop in America! Corn production in the United States has been steadily increasing since the 1950s.What is the biggest cash crop in America? ›
Crop cash receipts totaled $241.0 billion in calendar year 2021. Receipts from corn and soybeans accounted for $121.2 billion (50.3 percent) of the total.What fruit only grows in America? ›
Pawpaws are the only large fruit native to North America—they fed mastodons and bear-sized ground sloths millennia ago. More recently, Native Americans ate pawpaws, and George Washington enjoyed them as a favorite dessert.What is the most eaten fruit in America? ›
Bananas. America's best-loved fruit earned its top spot thanks to the convenience it offers, as well as its versatility.
1. Tomatoes. Despite common misconception, the tomato is technically a fruit because it contains seeds. They're produced in larger quantities than any other fruit, with more than 170 million tons grown internationally each year.